Coronavirus: Support for individuals affected

Updated 2nd April 2020, 23:16. For the latest medical advice, visit

In the both the Budget, and subsequent Downing Street statements, Chancellor Rishi Sunak set out a number of measures to help individuals and businesses with the threats faced by Coronavirus, 

The Chancellor has made clear that our NHS will have the resources it needs, and that we will do whatever we can to support individuals and businesses. 

To support people affected by Coronavirus, the government has announced a number of measures: 

Extention of Statutory Sick Pay

If you're too ill to work, or are self-isolating because of coronavirus, you can get Statutory Sick Pay for every day you are in isolation, though you must self-isolate for at least 4 days to be eligible. 

You cannot get less than the statutory amount of £94.25 a week - though you could get more if your company has a sick pay scheme. 

There are different rules for agricultural workers. Click here to find out more.

You can also now get an isolation note to give to your employer online, by clicking here. 

Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme

If you and your employer both agree, your employer might be able to keep you on the payroll if they’re unable to operate or have no work for you to do because of coronavirus. This is called being 'furloughed'. 

Your employer can pay 80% of your wages through the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme, up to £2,500 a month.

However, importantly, you cannot undertake any work for your employer whilst on furlough. 

All UK employers with a PAYE scheme are eligible, including businesses, charities, recruitment agencies (agency workers paid through PAYE) and public authorities.

The scheme is open to employees who were on the payroll on 28 February 2020, and can be on any type of contract including agency, flexible and zero-hours contracts.  

Housing Support

For those in difficulty due to Coronavirus, mortgage lenders will offer at least a three month mortgage holiday. These people will not have to pay a penny towards their mortgage whilst they get back on their feet. 

New evictions from homes have also been suspended, and and no possession proceedings through the courts will start during this crisis. 

Universal Credit

If you are without a job, you may be able to claim Universal Credit to help with your living costs. Click here to find out more.

Support for the self-employed

Support is also available for the self-employed. Click here to find out more. 

TV Licences for the over-75's 

The government and the BBC have announced that changes to the Licence Fee for people over the age of 75 that had been due to come into effect on 1st June have been delayed.